Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

One of those afternoons

When we first moved into our apartment e.v.e.r.y window screen had a huge hole in it. We called the property manager yesterday and asked if the owner would be able to fix them, and they said yes. So,  a handyman came by to fix our window screens. And we are thrilled, because it's cool outside now and we want to open our windows without letting all the six-legged critters inside.

A happy-ending, but it was still one of those afternoons. The handyman scared Aleigha by his mere existence, and she wouldn't calm down for an hour. I was a bit tense too, since I dislike letting strangers come inside. When she started crying, I felt a bit like crying too. Jason thinks she picked up on my tension, so she kept crying and trembling despite my efforts to reassure her.

After two hours he left...what a very long two hours. What kept me going was the thought of my surprise date with my husband. In the one hour and fifteen minutes I had until my friend came to baby-sit, I was so mentally drained that I had to think about each step I took.

What do I do next? Do that which needs to be done.

Which is...? Focus on one room at a time. One room...kitchen. Dishes. Wipe counter. Mop floors.

What next...? Vacuum. Clean the floor so Aleigha won't find anything to eat and choke.

And then....? Get dressed. Cuz I look like I've been cleaning dead bugs off the window sill. Cuz I have been doing just that. That and hugging a scared and crying Aleigha.

But you know what I remember most vividly from the day? The walk we took this morning. The bright blue sky we saw out our open window this afternoon. And the lovely date Jason and I had this evening. And now....zzzzzz........

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please drop a note!