Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

True Love Makes Deviled Eggs

I’ve just eaten a deviled egg, an egg my husband made for me.

We learned in our BradleyBirth Class about the importance of consuming lots of protein during pregnancy.  Yet, when I tracked my normal eating habits, I discovered that I generally eat about 25-50 grams per day, which is what a normal woman needs. A pregnant women needs about 70-100 grams per day. Since I am in the last trimester of pregnancy, when baby’s protein needs are the highest, I realized that I needed to increase my protein intake. (A high intake of protein might also decrease the risk of complications like preeclampsia.)

Eggs have lots protein and they are inexpensive, but I dislike eating them. Jason, hoping to encourage me eat the right foods, made hardboiled eggs anyway. Yucky.

Ever since I was a little girl, I've disliked the texture, taste, sight, and smell of hardboiled egg yolks. Usually, I pull out the yolk, add salt and pepper to the white part of the egg, and quickly eat it before I change my mind. I actually used to wash the yolk residue out of egg white part because I couldn’t stand to eat or look at even a tiny bit of yolk. I don’t do that anymore, so I consider that enough progress for the next decade or so.

Apparently, that’s not enough progress for Jason. “Eat the yolk—it’s good for you.” Eat the y.o.l.k? Gross! There’s no way I can choke that down. Never.

“I can’t!” I whined. “Please don’t make me. There’s enough protein in the white part.”

Jason said, “You have to.”  

Noooo! I can’t! Uh, I can only eat them when they are deviled.

Deviled eggs? I actually don't prefer to eat deviled eggs either. But, truly, that is the only way to make the egg yolk palatable enough for me to eat. I discovered this years ago at my aunt’s house one holiday. (Easter?) I bravely gave the deviled eggs a try and realized they weren’t so terrible.

Ironically, to make a deviled egg, one mixes the yolk with mayonnaise (and a few other ingredients). Now, I really dislike mayonnaise, probably even more than I dislike egg yolks. Yet, when mixed together, the hardboiled egg yolk and mayonnaise cancel each other out and create something that I can eat. (Kind of like how sodium and chlorine, two poisons, combine to make table salt.)

So, upon hearing that I won’t eat egg yolks unless they are in a deviled egg, my sweet man hardboiled a dozen eggs and found a yummy deviled egg recipe. See?


Love comes in many forms.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad he did that for you! Brian made me French toast to up my egg intake. Would that be an option for you?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please drop a note!