Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chick-fil-A (A.K.A “Pregnant Cow”)

Tomorrow, August 1, is “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” day.

In honor of the day, I’d like to share some of my favorite Chick-fil-A experiences.

My first time eating at Chick-fil-A was a few years ago. I attended a homeschool conference in North Carolina to help Vicki Bentley with her booth, Everyday Homemaking. On our way home, we stopped to have a bite to eat….at Chick-fil-A.

We pulled into the parking lot and walked inside. Nearly every customer was dressed like a cow. Vicki, however, did not appear surprised. “Oh, I forgot! Dress-like-a-cow day!”  

What?! She knew that nutty people eat here?

Ignorant of the restaurant’s annual “Cow Appreciation Day,” I assumed that Chick-fil-A had a cult following of bizarre customers. Then, I noticed the fliers, banners, and balloons indicating that this particular Friday occurred only once a year and customers who dress like a cow receive a free sandwich. Ah! We bought our sandwiches, sat down to eat, and admired (or perhaps secretly mocked?) people’s cow costumes.

I didn’t have the opportunity to eat at Chick-fil-A again until one was built closer to home. Then, I mysteriously developed a pregnancy craving for Chick-fil-A chicken strips. Jason, my wonderful husband, lovingly surprised me with chicken strips a few times.

Last month, July 13 was “Cow Appreciation Day” and I felt the urge to participate. I am still pregnant and couldn’t resist a free sandwich made with yummy baby-approved chicken. I mentioned the day to Jason and we made a mental note to participate.

The night before, we realized that we did not plan ahead and prepare cow costumes. But, it was late and we needed to attend our Bradley Birth Class the next morning. We made plans to think of a costume the morning of “Cow Appreciation Day.” That morning, Jason followed an online tutorial to make a cow mask, and I wore a black (maternity) shirt with the intent to tape white hand-cut “cow spots” all over my back and middle.

That morning, I made blackbean brownies for our class, so I ran out of time to cut spots. Instead, I grabbed some white paper, scissors, and tape to bring with me into the car. After birth class ended, we sat in our car and cut out some white “spots.” Jason carefully taped them to my back and I artistically arranged them on my front. We drove to Chick-fil-A, eager for a free sandwich.

When we pulled into the parking lot, we noticed that no one else was dressed like a cow. Hmmm. Maybe we missed the peak hour. Nevertheless, eager for a free meal, we marched on dressed like…cows. Well, I was dressed like a cow. Jason was holding his mask since he didn’t cut eyeholes!

As we walked towards the restaurant, we took a closer look at the flier on the door and realized that we had actually missed “Cow Appreciation Day.”

Instead of turning back to discreetly remove all cow markings from our appearance, Jason decided that we should go through with our plan anyway!

“What?! You mean walk into Chick-fil-A dressed like a cow even though today is NOT the day for free sandwiches?”

Jason shrugs, “Sure! Maybe they’ll take pity on us and still give us free food anyway.”

I was not particularly comfortable with this idea but I figured I didn’t have much to lose.

We walk inside, dressed like…cows. Jason was still holding his mask and I was covered in white paper spots. I could see the amused smiles forming on the employees’ faces. I imagined that they were thinking….

Oh, poor customers. How do we tell them that they totally missed Cow Appreciation Day? Bummer for them.

I instantly regretted our decision, but determined to save what little dignity I had left, I figured the best option was to pretend I was having fun and “play it cool.” I elbowed Jason, “Put on your mask! I am not going to be the only one dressed like a cow. This was your idea!”

When we walked up to the counter he quickly put it on…and then took it off because he couldn’t see. While ordering, he laughed and blurted a quick explanation. “Uh, well, we missed the dress-like-a-cow day, but we thought we’d come in here anyway since we already had our costumes and everything.”

The sweet Hispanic lady behind the counter smiled and replied sadly, “I’m sorry but I can’t give you a free sandwich.”

“Uh, that’s ok.” Jason said. “We understand.” And he placed our order. The lady entered our order into the computer and disappeared to the back, returning with a voucher for a free sandwich. She waved it around and said excitedly, “I can give you one!”

Really?! It worked?

We actually received a pity-inspired free chicken sandwich the day after Cow Appreciation Day!

When our food was ready, we took our bag, and scurried out of the store.

But, I realized something. Jason wore his mask less than 30 seconds and I was the one who was dressed like a cow the entire time.
I thought I earned a Starbucks for my performance. Jason prefers not to spend money on expensive coffee, so I reasoned with him. “You can take the money you saved getting a free sandwich and buy your wife a frappuccino (your wife who was pregnant and dressed like a cow when it was not “Cow Appreciation Day”)!

Jason laughed and kidded that he wouldn’t be “ahead” if he spent money he just saved. But, being the wonderful husband he is, he agreed and bought me one.

How can I end without a picture?





Next year, I plan to dress baby like a cow calf.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you earned the Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That is hilarious! I don't think I would ever have been brave enough to face a restaurant full of customers and employees not dressed like cows while I was dressed like a cow. Then again I probably wouldn't be brave enough to do it on the real dress like a cow day either.... Yay for getting Starbucks! You definitely earned it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please drop a note!